Wednesday 13 May 2009

A Response to Ms Mabvakure's Bestsellerdom Blog Entry

Ms Mabvakure, there is one trait about you that I find refreshing; your honesty. You do not beat about the bush but go straight to the point, a take-no-prisoner approach. I will not always agree with you on theological issues but even there, your candour is something I greatly admire.

On bestsellerdom aspirations, I think it is more of a personality issue than a universal writers'-syndrome, unless I am mistaken in my observations. Some, it seems, write to reach a wide audience/readership beyond the circle of family members and friends. On the other hand, there are those who write for fun and when they make it to bestsellerdom, it would be like adding icing on the cake. I like what Dambudzo Marechera once said; "I write for myself." When I write, even mere scribblings, I do so primarily to entertain myself. When others join in, it only spices up everything.

A good product will inevitably self-generate a lucrative market for itself. It is just a matter of time. Moreover, fame will come if it is God’s will. Some will actively search for it while others entrust their fate in God’s hands. The above-noted comprise, in a nutshell, my writing creed. It may be a simpleton’s creed, but a creed nonetheless.

What are my thoughts on writing? Frankly, it is the easiest thing I have ever done so much so that I find it incredible that, within the writing community, it is generally considered a path to fame and the exclusive domain of a presumably gifted few. In his book, Roughing It, Mark Twain once made an observation to the effect that writing is so easy it should be considered a hobby not a job – that was after he had spent a stint doing back-breaking work at a silver-extracting mill in the wilderness of 19th Century Nevada.

2 comments:

Sarudzai Mubvakure said...

Mr Masere, that is a wonderful blog post! You are quite right, "bestsellerdom" is a personality issue. Unlike Marechera I write for others and i just happen to enjoy the process of doing it.
You talked about the will of God. Well God's will for my life is to expand and spread my influence and blessings to others. I will do that through my writing. Therefore, most assuredly - God is willing. So too am i !

You talked about fame - God wants you famous when you talk about Him. In fact he will 'make you' famous when you put forward his cause. And what is His cause? That his righteousness (character) is spread throughout the world and wickedness annihilated. If what you are doing is on this track - then it's His will. It's all in the bible.

Once you have this knowledge, it is no longer about saying that your fate is in God's hands, but in your own hands.

A child puts their fate in the hands of their parent but one who has come of age realises that their parent has given them the tools to go out their and conquer the world.

You are right about writing not being a job. It must be a hobby, a plasure, a pastime. Ken Blanchard in his book The Heart of a Leader says - If you find something that you enjoy and are passionate about, you will never work another day of your life.

If what you enjoy is now providing for your livelihood - then that is excellence achieved. For example Marechera wrote stories for himself and them someone came along and paid him for what he originally intended for himself and not for others - brilliant.

Sarudzai Mubvakure said...

I did some surfing again because i realised that i have not thoroughly studied your publications. Therefore, a question for you - Why do you like writing fiction for children?

I am due to review your book African Folktales for Children - looking forward to it.

As a child i enjoyed reading Enid Blyton's Five Find outers and dog. With the famous character Frederick Arthur Trotterville (a.k.a Fatty.). Please don't mistake the 'Five Find Outers' with the 'Famous Five' - i hate it when people do that ! They are totally different books although by the same author.

Anyway, after 'Fatty and Co' i don't remember reading much else in terms of fiction. I half read my texts for O'Level English Literature. How i got a B is totally beyond me. Most definitely the divine intervention of God and i was not even a christian then!
To this day i can't remember what the novel 'Son of the Soil' was about and only God knows what was in the centre of the novel called 'The Mayor of Casterbridge'.

Anyway, nevermind. I am reading now and that is what counts. What's more, is that i am enjoying it.

Look out for the review of your book on my blog.

take care !