Thursday 11 June 2009

I Was Inspired by Sarudzayi Barnes - Janine Dube

Zimbabwe's latest writer, Janine Dube, was recently interviewed by ZIMNET Radio. Asked to name writers who inspired her, "Sarudzayi Barnes," she said while naming some of the most prominent African writers like Chinua Achebe, Shimmer Chinodya, Charles Mungoshi and Dambudzo Marechera. Coming from another writer, that is a ringing endorsement of Sarudzayi Barnes.

This simply reinforces what I have often said to Mrs Barnes, a writer, business owner and aspiring farmer, everytime she mentions the cold shoulder her books get from certain Zimbabwean literary quarters - just keep on putting a good product because people who matter will notice.

Oh, by the way, it is apparent Janine just shuts up and writes. Good for her

6 comments:

Masibanda said...

Umm!I feel highly honoured. I listened to the interview. Janine is a young (if not the youngest Zimbabwean writer) and a promising talent. She deserves our support. I have ordered her book, and will certainly sell her books at the Book Fair next week. Thanks Jonathan for the post. Thanks Janine for liking my writing. I thought no one was bothered about what I write!

Emmanuel Sigauke said...

Thanks for the post. I listened to the interview and I like what ZIMNET radio did--using their time to promote Zim writing. I look forward to reading the book too.

Jonathan Masere said...

Saru and Manu,

For promoting Janine Dube, Zimnet promises to be a great Zimbabwean institution. I used to follow it way back in the 1990s when it was only a internet chat group.

What Zimbabwean writers need to do is compile a serious and respectable wikipedia database of Zimbabwean writers for those who like Zimbabwean literary works. There is one for Zimbabwean women and another for all Zimbabwean writers but both have not been updated for a while. Compared to what the Nigeran writers are doing, this is clearly pitiful and very damning of our character, or lack thereof, as a people. We can be just as good, surely.

I may ask my son to help update the sites when I go on vacation.

Masibanda said...

noble idea, Jonathan. The only thing with the Zimnet chap who was interviewing Janine is that he doesn't seem to know the difference between Nigeria and Kenya. He bundled up Ngugi and Achebe as Nigerian writers. But yeah man, it was quite a good effort.

Janine Dube said...

Thank you very much for your recognition Mr Masere, I appreciate it very much.

Jonathan Masere said...

Janine, your success is a source of happiness for every Zimbabwean worth the name. Congratulations and I hope there is more to come from you.